Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Weirdly Delicious - My Strange Food Habits

      While at my Dad's house today I was forced to confront the fact that there is rarely anything (I want) to eat there.  Due to my Dad's diet, there was no bread, no milk, no potatoes, and no snack food to speak of, which left me only 2 options: eat some fruit or get get creative.
So I put on my thinking cap.

And came up with this.




        Fancy party crackers + cheese + microwave = cracker nachos.  They were a little soggy, but otherwise great.  I also had some fruit, 'cause who hates fruit?

        As I ate my nachos I got to thinking about other strange foods/food combinations I've had.  Culinary eccentricity runs in my family, and although I wasn't always this way, I've become much more open to new tastes and foods, especially during and since my mission (although there are some things I do and forever will refuse to eat; peaches, salt and vinegar chips, chocolate twizzlers, I'm looking at you).   So I made a list of a few of the strange foods I've eaten and my food oddities and quirks (there's a good chance you do some of them too), along with recommendations for the adventurous among you.  Bon Appetit!


  • Chicken feet.  I don't know how I feel about this one.  After eating lots of them in Suriname and Guyana, I got used to them and even started to like them, but now I don't think I could stomach one.
  • Like most, I enjoy a good muffin. Unlike most, I also enjoy eating the muffin paper and chewing the muffin residue out of it like a fibrous breadgum.
  • When I have M&Ms, I always take two of them and squeeze them together between my thumb and forefinger.  The one that cracks first is the loser, and is eaten.
  • I do not like creamy peanut butter (nutless butter, I call it), and sometimes when that's all there is, I crack sunflower seeds and put those in the PB to crunchify it.  RECOMMENDED.  
  • I like putting chips in my sandwiches. RECOMMENDED.  Once had no chips and used Corn Flakes.  NOT RECOMMENDED.
  • I don't always eat peas, but when I do, I prefer them frozen.
  • Curried Cayman (miniature crocodile).  Lots of bones, but delicious. RECOMMENDED.
  • Eating Lucky Charms, Marshmallow Mateys, etc., becomes a game of eating the cereal bits while leaving the marshmallow bits in the bowl, making the last few bites a glorious marshmallow explosion. 
  • I lick the dust off of Doritos before eating the whole chip.  But not in public because I know it's gross.
  • With most candies I have to separate them by color and eat them in equal ratios, and always end with the best/rarest.
  • I sometimes eat the individual ridges off of my chips.
  • Pig tail.  NOT RECOMMENDED
  • Chicken heart is very good for you and tastes good too!  RECOMMENDED
  • Cashew (the fruit, which grows underneath the nut) has faint but sweet taste and is very watery.  
  • The fruit of the Fat Pork tree has the size and shape of a ping pong ball, the consistency and texture of a nerf ball, and is so named because it tastes like pork fat.  Yum.  
  • I disassemble Twix bars in my mouth and swallow the layers sequentially.
  • Haven't done this in years, but I used to rip my empty popcorn bags open and (yes, it's gross) lick the butter from the sides.
  • Twinkie-Weiner Sandwiches.  Step One: Make a lengthwise incision in a twinkie insomuch that it resembles a hot dog bun.  Step Two:  Insert frankfurter into twinkie.  Step Three (Optional): Add condiments including E-Z Cheese. Step Four:  Enjoy!  RECOMMENDED
  • Grilled PB&J.  I haven't tried this one yet but I plan to very soon.  I have it on authority that it is extremely delicious.
  • Salting Pineapple and other fruit is common in the West Indies.  I was skeptical at first, but it really brings out the flavor. RECOMMENDED
  • In Guyana I learned to enjoy hot dogs slathered with mayo and garnished with grated carrots.
  • Armadillo is gamey and hard to come by, but delicious.
  • In a pinch, certain types of cake mixes can be made in the microwave in less than 5 minutes.  Also, pudding makes a great frosting substitute.
  • Eating sugarcane is like chewing soft, sweet wood.
  • In Suriname, Iguanas are called Bomkip (Tree Chicken).  Betcha can't guess what they taste like.

That's plenty for now.  Do any of you share the same food oddities or have strange habits of your own?  Let  me know by sharing them in the comments section.  I know I'm not the only one; 'fess up people!

1 comment:

  1. Grody! Interesting. An entertaining read to be sure. We all think you're great over here, Rusden!

    ReplyDelete