Thursday, March 15, 2012

The Insomniac Monologues


         Some nights sleep eludes me and I lie awake in bed, while random trains of thought go chugging through my head, puffing clouds of nonsense into the wee hours of the morning.  This usually happens when something important is happening the next day and I know I need to be well rested, but sometimes it happens for no reason.  It's like my mind's passive-aggressive way of rebelling against my body.  A big "Screw you. Love, Your Brain. P.S.  Here's an amazing idea that will solve all your problems.  You won't remember it in the morning.".  

This is last night's attempt at documenting some of the things that go through my mind when I can't sleep.  

  
       And then it was two o’clock, and I thought about John Candy’s character in Planes, Trains, and Automobiles, and how sad it was, and how good John Candy was at playing him, and how sad it was that John Candy was dead.  And then I thought about how Cool Runnings was based on a true story, and so what happened to the bobsled team?  Do they still have one?  If so, are they starting to feel kinda stupid by this point?  Maybe thinking it’s about time to phase out the program?  I once knew a kid who did bobsledding.  He almost went to the Olympics.  Bobsledding.  Bob-sledding.  Bobsledding.  Stevesledding.  What other John Candy movies do I know?  Uncle Buck.  Never saw that one.  Rented it once when I was a kid but it was maybe inappropriate for kids so we stopped it.  John Candy and John Belushi.  RIP guys.  I wonder if John Candy and I have anything in common.  Let’s see… I don’t know enough about him to draw any valid comparisons.  What should I be for Halloween next year?  Maybe Lord Licorice from Candy Land, but maybe that’s too obscure.  Just remembered a hipster joke I heard last week.  And then it was three o’clock.


No comments:

Post a Comment