Wednesday, May 23, 2012

This week's music pick

Music is incredible.  These are a few of the songs I've been enjoying in the past few days.  They're all a little off of the beaten path, but give them all a try: I'll bet there's at least one that plucks your harp.

 The Weakerthans - Without Mythology

I like the Weakerthans.  The music is genre-less (though some call it folk-punk), the lyrics, poetry.  The style of this song is a little different than the rest of their material, but I really dig it.  If you don't like this one, consider trying some of their other stuff, like this!

Listen to this song on a grey, rainy day (like it is today here in Ketchikan).




Eluveitie - Luxtos

What's this?  A band that combines traditional Celtic folk music and instruments with a powerful Gothenburg influenced heavy metal style?  And they sing in Gaulish, an ancient language that's been dead for over a thousand years?  And they have a hurdy-gurdy player?!  Yes, please!

Animal Collective - My Girls

Animal Collective wanders on the territorial edges of music, exploring the borders and redefining what music is.  I've been digging into their material to find my favorites and so far this song has really stuck with me.  It's not conventional, but that's not what Animal Collective is about, and neither am I.







Kola Kid - Pizza Power 

Somewhere there is a kid, and he presumably consumes and enjoys Kola, or otherwise interacts with Kola in a way that would warrant the moniker Kola Kid.  And he also makes great chiptunes.This track is a soothing mixture of bleeps and bloops set along a groovy drum beat with an almost trance-like result.


Stephanie Mabey - The Zombie Song

Zombies: I like them.  Zombie movies, zombies video games, and yes, even zombie music.  I first heard this track back in October around Halloween time (when else do you hear songs about zombies?) and thought it was great.  Heard it flipping through random stuff on my iPod this week and decided to bring it back to life (pun not only very much intended, but carefully crafted).  While I'm a sucker for zombie stuff, her other stuff is pretty neat as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment