Wednesday, May 2, 2012

The Ketchikan Krew Takes to the Treetops



As a special treat, we were all taken to Alaska Canopy Tours after work today, where we went through what is hands down the coolest (and only) zip-line course I've ever gone through.  And, well, it was a total blast.  The weather was beautiful with the sun making a rare appearance, and from our platforms perched 100 feet above the rainforest floor we had a beautiful view across the ocean to the verdant, snow-capped mountains which stretched to the (most appropriately) mist-obscured Misty Fjords to the Southwest.  The college age guides, who were kind enough to take all 13 of us through the course for free, were all really cool guys who invited us to come back any time we had free time want to go zip-lining for a while.  We also have invitations to hang out with them after hours at some of their regular bonfires and other parties.  I know that I could come down to the zip lines every day off all summer and never get tired of the thrill and beauty, but with all the other activities and attractions, I don't know how often I'll get to come down.

It's crazy to me that the biggest dilemma I'm facing this summer is that I might not go have time to go soaring around the treetops of a massive Red Cedar forest in Alaska as much as I want because there are so many other cool things I have to do on my days off.  Gosh, I'm really between a rock and a hard place.  But don't grieve for me, I will find some way to soldier on.



Awestruck by the raging waterfall to the left.

The text reads:  Satisfaction guaranteed or double your garbage back.  If you ask someone to explain, they  just say, "the winters are long here.".  That's good enough for me.

Since the trail up to the zip-line course is so steep, the only way to get up is on a Unimog - this huge-wheeled red thing I'm on here. 
Your face must be this round to ride this ride. 
Zippin' is serious business for reals.
 
While the infamous "Bridge to Nowhere" was planned to be in Ketchikan, this is not it.  This is a bridge to somewhere.  Specifically, the next zip-line platform.








This picture of us rappelling was taken by someone with some weird foot problems.
This is Alex.  He is coming down.  He also took many of the pictures of me farther up on the page.  This is because he has a cool camera and is awesome.  Thanks for being awesome, Alex.

The zip-line adventure was capped off by a ride down this super-slide in a burlap sack.  I wish I could say it was the first time I was stuffed in a burlap sack and pushed down a chute.

Pro Tip:  The Alaskan Canopy is a good place to conduct clandestine drug deals.  







2 comments:

  1. I really like this places for sure a lot of interesting places here.

    Things to Do in Ketchikan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Make money on esports gambling - Work-to-Earn
    Making money หาเงินออนไลน์ can be incredibly hard. With esports gambling, you could lose money betting money on one kadangpintar of 바카라사이트 the sports games that you'll find. As

    ReplyDelete